Wednesday, May 19, 2010

For about six years my school district has been really into the use of thinking maps. Thinking maps are a type of graphic organizer. I have been to several trainings on the use of thinking maps and have implemented them into my classroom because it is district required. This week I had a bit of an “aha!” moment. I now have a good reason to use thinking maps in my classroom- aside from doing it because it is required.

Thinking maps along with other concept mapping tools replicate the network model of cognitive learning. They are a way to organize and link ideas. One of the primary modes for storing information into long term memory is through elaboration. When we help our students make many connections to information they will have more connections with which to retrieve the information (Laureate, 2008). Because my students cannot read, when I do thinking maps I use graphics instead of words most of the time. According to Pavio’s duel code people store image more than text (Laureate, 2008).

I can say from experience that using thinking maps has greatly increased my student’s acquisition of information. The easiest way for me to use them is when retelling a story. A flow map is relatively easy to make and helps the students see the flow of a story and aides in their ability to retell it. I also use thinking maps to classify and group objects, and to make comparisons. Once my class has done a thinking map I leave it up on the wall. I am always pleased to see them going back to a thinking map months later, during choice time and retelling stories or discussing the information presented on the organizer. It shows me that this tool is effective at helping students to learn and retrieve information.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Cognitive Learning Theories [Motion Picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. Amber,
    I think using the flow chart is a great tool for retelling a story. My students constantly struggle with how to summarize a story that they have read. They either want to tell every detail or write one sentence and call that a summary. A flow chart would be a great way to help them have a visual of the different parts of the story as they write it out and allow them to take only the important parts of the story and explain it on the chart. They can also draw pictures to go along with each part. Having the visual and text goes right along with Paivio's dual coding hypothesis that we learned about in this week's DVD presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,

    Having students work with graphic organizers and concept maps is indeed a good technique for students to learn and retain information. I have used concepts maps in two main ways. Firstly, for writing graphic organizers, and for mapping main points in a science unit. My students had a whole unit of information condensed to one page.

    There are some great concept map websites on the internet. Many of them allow the use of symbols, images, or pictures. This works in well with Paivio's dual coding hypothesis. Students can use words and grapics to make sense of information in their way. If students have the opportunity to construct information in a way that makes sense to them, increased learning and storage into longterm memory is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby- the flow chart has been a great tool for me the last two years. We do one giant flow map whole class for a story. I use graphics and will often write down the word as well (even though my students cannot read it). Months later they are able to go to a flow map for a story and retell it perfectly. Hopefully I will be a useful tool in your classroom!

    Rusty, I am very interested in exploring concept map websites so that I am able to use symbols and images easier. I wonder if my district will allow me to use a graphic organzier that is not district approved. They no longer allow us to use Venn diagrams, or Cluster maps, even though they are the same thing as a Double Bubble and Circle map. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,
    Using flow charts and story webs are great for helping students understand and summarize stories. I use these frequently in my classroom. Do you ever use flow charts in other subject areas? Do you allow your students to create their own or do you only use them with the whole group?
    I am curious as to why your district no longer allows Venn Diagrams? We must use these frequently because they appear on district benchmark assessments and our state test. I like to use Venn Diagrams because they help students see the connection between two objects, concepts, or characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea why they no longer let us use a Venn Diagram anymore. They are really big on Thinking Maps. One of the thinking maps is a double bubble which is the same thing as a Venn Diagram. I asked once a long time ago what the difference was, and while they could not tell me, they still hold that Thinking Maps are the only way to go. They are effective so I will not knock them too much, but they are very similar to other graphic organizers that have been around for years.

    ReplyDelete