Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My G.A.M.E. Plan

When examining the technology National Education Standards for Teachers I certainly see room for improvement. However, there are two areas where I am not as confident in executing as I would like to be. Those two areas are standard 2.a and standard 2.b. Standard 2.a states: teachers design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity. Standard 2.b states: teachers develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress. In order to meet these goals I have set up a plan for myself called a G.A.M.E. plan (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009).

The first step in my plan is to set goals (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009). I would like to work with my district to find new ways to incorporate more web 2.0 technologies into my classroom. The current thinking in my district is that if you use the SMARTboard you are integrating technology, but I think that technology integration can be much more than that. To be more specific in my goal, I would like to actually implement one new technology probably Web 2.0 in my class this year. Another goal I have is to turn over some of my teaching time to my students where they can participate in a structured, content based self directed learning activity. Again, to be more specific, a realistic goal for me would be to do one self directed learning activity where I also use student input to shape and guide the experience. Knowing if I am successful in my goals is easy- I will either follow through or not.

The next step in the G.A.M.E. plan is to take action (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009). To meet my goal I will need to use my curriculum to find a subject area and content standard to focus on. I will also need to research to find which technology best supports the content. To do this I might turn to the internet to research, or look up lesson plans in a teacher café type of website. Once I determine the technology I would like to use, I will have to work with my district to make sure that the technology policy allows me to use my desired technology. Finally, I will have to create lesson plans that help me to meet my goal.

The third step is to monitor my progress (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009). I might consider setting timelines for myself for each part of my action process that ultimately leads to my implementation of new technology and incorporation of a self directed learning activity. As each due date in my timeline approaches I can stop and evaluate if I have completed the task or not. If I have not completed the task I will stop and ask myself what is keeping me from completing that task. As I answer that question I can evaluate and change steps in my action plan as needed.

The final step in my plan is to evaluate and extend (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009). My goals are to implement a new technology and to incorporate a self directed learning activity. Monitoring these goals is as simple as checking to see if I have done them or not. If I am successful in my goals I will evaluate what a next step might be. A next step could be anything from creating lesson plans to use my newly implemented technology, to designing more self directed learning lessons. I will also be sure to journal some of the struggles I had during the process along with things I can do differently next time to make the process easier. If I am unsuccessful in meeting my goals I will sit down and evaluate what my struggles were that kept me from meeting my goal and create a G.A.M.E. plan to overcome those struggles. I will also consider modifying my goals to make them more attainable.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

6 comments:

  1. I really like the point you made about turning the teaching over to the students. I imagine they will really enjoy this type of activity. Do you anticipate the students being familiar with Web 2.0 tools? It is interesting how much they know about current technology and how fast they pick things up. It is almost as if students find shortucuts instinctivley. I am surprised how seamlessly students interact with different applications and software, even transitioning gaming skills to the learning environment. This was discussed in the Prensky article from the class resources. It will be interesting to see their reactions and hopefully read about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber~

    It sounds like you'll be a huge asset to your district. Does your district offer any summer workshops for your staff? If so, you could present some of the Web 2.0 technologies you use in the classroom. I have done this in the past and it was well attended. It's a great way for you to build leadership skills while sharing things that work in your classroom. You've already had the opportunity to troubleshoot and help your colleagues experience success more quickly than what you probably had. Good luck!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary to Amber
    My school system feels the same way about technology, as long as I turn on my overhead I am using technology in the classroom. I am embarrassed to admit that until a few years ago that was all I did as far as technology was concerned. I am now aware of so many easy and interesting ways to include technology in my lessons plans, but I am aware that most of my peers are still just turning on their overheads. I feel that I need to enlighten my fellow teachers.
    I think my entire lesson plans need to be overhauled to include more technology and I am going to try to do just that. I really like the idea of doing a journal with the lesson plans. Every year I tweak my lesson just a bit or change them completely and using notes would be very helpful. I hate when certain lessons do not work, for whatever reason, but sometimes with a few adjustments they can be turned into great plans.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,

    I'm glad that you pointed out that simply using a Smart Board is not the only way to integrate technology. I have spoken to teachers who thought that they needed a Smart Board to use technology in the classroom. There are a variety of ways to integrate technology.

    I think your GAME PLAN is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you for all the great comments.

    Lolavie: Sadly, I do not anticipate my students being familiar with any technology tools. I teach kindergarten, in a community where very few of my students can afford to have a computer at home. Just a couple months ago I can to explain to a parent what e-mail is. Your words do give me some encouragement though! I think you are right, it is amazing how fast students pick up new technology, and if their video game experience transfers over easily, then I am all set! While my students cannot afford computers most of them have at least one video gaming system in the house where they spend a lot of their time.

    Kristen, Mary, Kratrina - I have tried to present some ideas the use Web 2.0 strategies to my grade level and sadly, I was looked at like I was a crazy person. My district has their chosen technology people and they have a hard time listening to the ideas of anyone else. Again, sadly, the techies (as we call them) only teach how to use computer programs and how to do a lesson on the SMARTboard. None of their activities even touch on using the internet as a tool. I suspect I will have to continue to plod away in my own classroom and bring up ideas when I can until I begin to win people over to the ideas of new technology. It is going to be a long road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber,
    You make a good point when you said that many districts and schools feel that they are implementing technology if teachers are using SMARTboards in their classroom. I think that it goes the same for some teachers who only use computers for basic research and writing in Word and call that technology integration. In a way, I use to be one of those teachers, but since beginning my courses at Walden I have learned that there is so much more to integrating technology in the classroom. I think that more teachers should work with their districts to figure out ways to incorporate web 2.0 into classrooms.
    I also like the idea of turning over more of your lessons to your students. I have done this a few times, although not as much as I'd like, with my second grade class. Having students complete more self-directed lessons gives them a sense of ownership and accountability. Good luck with implementing your GAME plan!

    ReplyDelete