Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Evaluating my GAME plan

This week I am stepping back and examining my GAME plan. Over the past four weeks I believe I have met the goals I set in my original GAME plan. I have a self directed learning project with a new technology ready to go. I am going to implement it in February. As next step for this particular goal, I am going to present my lesson plan to my grade level and try to get my grade level to do the lesson along with me. I think it would be a good push for everyone. Having other teachers at the school implement a lesson with me will also ensure that I follow through and do it like I am planning!

I have been talking about the computer club that I am planning to start in January. Coming up with this project in the middle of my GAME plan has given me the momentum to keep going. Over my vacation I am going to write a GAME plan for the successful beginning of the computer club. I want to lay out a framework of the technologies I plan to introduce to these students and come up with an order of introduction along with a project for each technology. I think part of the success for me in carrying out this plan has been the element of accountability that comes from blogging about it every week. As I move forward I am going to find a way to keep myself accountable. I will either continue to blog or work with a partner that will keep me accountable. Once I start the club I have no doubt the students will keep me accountable as they will be joining for the express purpose of learning more about technology.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you are taking on the role of helping your team integrate technology into their classrooms as well. I have also been trying to help my team integrate technology by suggesting SMARTboard websites and activities that they could also use with their students. Teachers all seem to be willing to use more technology in their classrooms, but they need peers to guide them in the right direction and give support when needed. Even I leave trainings sometimes forgetting what I have learned, and then not being able to use it in my classroom. You will be able to give constant guidance to your team.

    Starting a technology club sounds like an excellent idea! Since I am currently taking Walden courses and working in the After School Program, I do not have the time immediately after school to take on a project like this. Your idea has definetly inspired me to talk with my administration about starting this next year. Do you plan to open this to all grade levels, or limit it to a few? If you will meet with more than one grade level, how do you plan to manage teaching curriculum that will be meaningful to all of the students? Best of luck as you continue to implement your GAME plan and achieve your professional goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber,
    It is so great that your fellow teachers are willing to listen to your ideas. I also work with a great staff and that makes coming to work that much more enjoyable. It is also fantastic that you can give them your suggestions--that does not always happen. Have you had any resistence from any of the teachers?

    I would love to start a computer club!!! I told you in another blog what a fantastic idea that was. You will have kids lined up at the door. Will you have a set of guidelines for the students to follow? If so, will you make them up or will you have the students set the guidelines? Keep up the great work!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,

    You are demonstrating exceptional leadership by influencing your peers to use modern learning tools, and starting a technology club from scratch. I am impressed with how you are already planning activities around the technology tools from our learning. Through your example, you are creating change. I hope you maintain the positive attitude and enthusiasm throughout your career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,
    I think that it is a great idea to teach your team members a technology based lesson and have everyone complete the lesson in their classroom. Hopefully, this will allow an opportunity for good collaboration with your team mates and allow them to give you feedback and ideas, if any are needed, for the lesson. I am the only one on my grade level that uses technology. This gives me the idea to create a simple technology based lesson that I can show them and hopefully encourage them to use it in their classrooms. Thanks for the idea. It sounds like you are doing a great job carrying out your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber,
    Having your grade level teammates implementing your GAME plan objectives will prove rewarding not only for you, but for the teachers and especially the students. I know that when my kids made their iMovies a few weeks ago, that's all they could talk about. The rest of the 4th graders were questioning their teachers when they could make them. Unfortunately, no one wants to dive into that with their classes this year.

    If no one is willing to participate with you, maybe you could have your kids do a presentation to the other classes to show (1) how engaged the students are and (2) show the teachers it is possible to accomplish district/state objectives utilizing technology without major upheaval.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber,
    I like how you are creating a new GAME plan for your computer club. Using this strategy is a great way to set goals, accomplish them, and evaluate their effectiveness. This will also help you to make the computer club greater each year by providing you with information on the things that worked well and/or things that need to be strengthened.

    ReplyDelete