Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Progress Check

Now that I have been implementing my GAME plan for about three weeks I can take a step back and see how I am doing. My first goal was to implement one new web 2.0 technology this year with my class. My second goal is to do a self directed learning activity with my class. I have a lesson plan for a voice thread activity where students learn about a number by creating a representation of how that number is made (for example: 10 and 10 makes 20). I would like to turn this into a voice thread by uploading the student’s picture and having them narrate how to make the number. I looked at my district pacing guide to see when I can teach this lesson. I will not teach numbers 20-30 until about February. This feels like a long time to see my action completely carried out, and yet, with the holidays and benchmark testing coming up it is not realistic to fit in a big project before then. I feel like I am also completing this goal in a new way by beginning an after school computer club with upper grades. I am very excited about the possibilities the computer club holds. And through them I hope to introduce many new Web 2.0 technologies to my school. My hopes are that they go and share what they are learning about with other students and teachers.

Because I have been monitoring my progress every week, I have actually been carrying out my GAME plan. Reflecting back on failed projects of my past, I see that the vital step of monitoring was missing. Having a timeline in place and sticking to it has kept in motion throughout this process. When I first started to write a GAME plan I thought it was silly and did not see how it would fit into my professional practice permanently, but now that I have been going through the process I can see its value and I believe that this is a process I will use again and again to help me create and complete professional goals. Having this plan in place has helped me to follow through and carry out my goals. I would like to learn more about other ways to use a GAME plan, possibly grade level wide, or school wide.

As I have been carrying out my GAME plan I have already made an adjustment (or addition). Right now I see no further need to adjust my GAME plan, but this week I will begin to look at what a next step for my goals might be.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amber,
    Funny that you mentioned writing a game plan as a silly idea! I did not think it sounded silly,but I did think that it was something I would not look at or pay attention to! The opposite has happened with me as well, I keep looking at it to keep myself focused.

    I have thought about having my students write a game plan at the start of the new year. What do you think? Not sure how I will implement this into my curriculum---but maybe it would keep my students focused towards a goal. I would love our insight on this!

    Your voice thread sounds like a great idea. Although February seems like a long time away, I think it is a more realistic goal,with December being so crazy. Good luck!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,

    I like your VoiceThread concept. I think your young people will enjoy the experience. However, I would use caution if uploading student images. Some parents may not want their childrens pictures on the internet in any fashion. You might consider having them create an Avatar of some sort to represent how they see themselves vs. an actual photo. If you do use images of your students, I am sure you already know it would be wise to obtain signed consent first. Have fun over the holidays.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminded me that using a GAME plan with a blog site such as this would be a great way for districts to monitor professional development. Our building started doing this during the current school year with our book groups. Each year we can pick a professional book to read with others or read independently. I showed my principal how to set up a thread through our Google account so we can comment on each other's thoughts and ideas. It makes it much easier that trying to find an agreeable meeting time for all the members in the groups and anyone can read to find out what the other groups are learning.

    I find the GAME plan and blogging is holding me more accountable for the process. I can't just sit back and wait until the last minute to complete the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Voicethread project on numbers. Another tool that you can use is the iPads. There are very nice maths apps that can be beneficial in your approach in delivering the concept of numbers. Even with one iPad and iPhone, you can easily run a little centre and integrate it in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete