Wednesday, December 15, 2010

GAME plan with my students

Looking at the NETS-T and the NETS-S I can see how they connect with each other. As I develop my own technology skills and meet my standards, it pushes me almost simultaneously to help my students meet some of their standards. They are very inter- related. The teacher standards are about designing and the student standards are about demonstrating concepts that are essentially the same. Knowing that, I can use a GAME plan to meet standards that will help my students become more proficient.

My GAME plan was to use new technology and do a self directed learning activity. In implementing my own GAME plan and becoming proficient in my own standards, I helped my students to meet their standards and become proficient in creativity and innovation and communication and collaboration.

I believe that I will continue to use GAME plan process in this way- create plans for myself and in completing those plans, my students will gain more proficiency. I think my students are too young to get them deeply involved in the process of creating the plan. While we are constantly setting goals for them to reach as far as their own learning, I think the rest of the process is too complex for them to complete. I will get their input on what they would like to learn and then create a GAME plan to help me meet that goal. By continuing on in the process of making GAME plans, both my students and I can continue to grow and gain necessary skills in technology.

3 comments:

  1. From Donna C.
    As I was reading this post, two things struck me immediately. One was that your message sounds very proactive. I get the feeling you are going to make a strong effort to move forward with technology. Second, you mentioned that you feel your students are too young to develop a GAME plan. It took me to the idea of making a PreGAME plan for younger students? Maybe a simpler acronym that focuses on age appropriate steps to introduce the idea of using a GAME plan as they get older? Just a though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,

    You sound as if you are taking direct responsibility for your students learning. I wish more educators thought this way. Some teachers are still under the impression that they just have to give information and the students have to learn it. You are improving your skills to increase those of your students. I love your approach. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with Ken's comments about taking responsibility for your students' learning. I think that you are showing how dedicated you are to them, by making a choice to always be prepared and goal focused. At the beginning of your post, you noted how your learning affects that of your students. I couldn't agree with you more. Since enrolling at Walden, I have learned so much from the resources, professors, and our classmates, that I have become a better teacher. My students benefit from my desire to learn. Your students are growing each day, because you are growing. I wish you continued success in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete